Yesterday, for the first time in my life I saw a complete rainbow arc. Beginning from one point and ending at another point closely resembling a perfect bow.
If you look closely above the main arc (real closely), it’s not one but it’s a Double rainbow.
Does this rainbow has a story to tell ? Read on to know ….
1. Rainbow is an atmospheric phenomena. When sunlight falls on water droplets in air , they are scattered, reflected and dispersed (all of them) , and cause the sunlight to be split into spectrum of colors.
2. Rainbow has 7 colors, technically. VIBGYOR.(Violet, Indigo, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red).
3. Double rainbows ? Sometimes, double reflection occurs inside the water droplets causing a second rainbow arc over the main rainbow making a Double rainbow. Unfortunately, to see in this picture, you need really good pair of eyes. Usually, the inner side of primary rainbow starts with Violet and moves on to the other colors with Red at outermost side. With secondary arc located a bit higher than the primary arc, it’s the opposite. It starts with red on inside and violet on outside.
4. There’s no gold pot at the end of rainbow ! Rainbows are optical illusion visible only at certain angles. If you see a person is standing at so-called under/at the origin of a rainbow. That person will see the rainbow far off at similar angles.
5. You can’t click a complete semi-circle rainbow just like that ! A complete semi-circle of rainbow requires an angle of view around 84°. Standard cameras have less angle of view. So,you need some wide-angle lens for that. Now I realize, why I was unable to capture it after many clicks.
6. Rainbows can be multicolored or even one colored too ! It depends on the incoming light hitting the droplets and the size,shape of droplets themselves and some more factors. So if the sky is yellow, expect more of a yellowish rainbow and so on . Here are some examples from internet.
7. Rainbows are affected by pollution. Less pollution in skies make the colors more vibrant. Polluted skies make the colors washed-out and faded or to nothing ! The more the reason to preserve nature to keep seeing happy and colorful skies. Don’t you agree ?
Thank you for reading this far. Have a great day !